Status Maintenance

PR Card Renewals

Renewal of Permanent Resident Card

Permanent Resident Card (PR Card) is issued to new permanent residents following approval of their application for permanent residence. The PR card is a travel document that authorizes a permanent resident to enter Canada by a commercial mode of transportation (e.g., plane, boat, train, bus).


The PR card is usually valid for 5 years and it can be successfully renewed if a person is meeting their residency obligation as a permanent resident. The application for renewal of the PR card must be submitted in Canada.


It is important to note that with the expiry of the PR card, the permanent residency status of a person does not “expire”. It is possible to remain in Canada for an unspecified time period with the expired PR card. However, if a person plans to travel and return to Canada by plane, for example, they either require a valid PR card or a permanent resident travel document (PRTD) to board a plane. In some cases, it is also possible to enter Canada without a PR card or travel document, but with the Confirmation of Permanent Residence only, depending on the mode of travel.

It may take several months for the PR card renewal application to be finalized. However, there are situations when a person needs to urgently travel outside of Canada and the urgent processing request may be appropriate.


For permanent residents of Canada, it is important to understand their obligations regarding maintaining the PR status and at what point the status determination by IRCC may take place. In some cases, it is risky to apply for a renewal of the PR card when a permanent residency status may be jeopardized.


If you are considering renewing your permanent residency travel document (PR card), contact our office to discuss your eligibility and options. Our professionals provide the following assistance for PR cardholders on a regular or urgent basis:


  • Application for PR Card
  • Renewal of the PR card that is about to expire
  • Renewal of the expired PR card
  • Replacement of lost or stolen PR card
Share this page

Do You Need Immigration Help?

Contact us for professional assessment, review of eligibility and immigration advice. Our staff is here to help you resolve your immigration matters, provide assistance and answer your questions. We are committed to providing service excellence to our valued clients.

Give Us A Call


Email Us At