Visas and Permits

Temporary Resident Permits

Temporary Resident Permit (TRP)

Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) is a document that grants a person entry into Canada on a temporary basis. This is a document which is issued by the Minister to a person who is either inadmissible to Canada for any reason or who does not meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act to be otherwise admitted as a visitor, student or worker if there is a good reason or need for a person’s travel to Canada.


A Temporary Resident Permit is not the same as a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV). The TRV is a counterfoil that is stamped in a person’s passport by the visa office upon approval of their application to enter Canada as a visitor, student or worker. It does not authorize stay in Canada though. The TRP is the document allowing a person to remain in Canada for a specific period, which may be cancelled at any time.


While deciding on the TRP application, a processing officer needs to determine whether the need for a person to enter or remain in Canada is compelling and their presence in Canada outweighs any risk associated with their presence in Canada. For example, if a person is inadmissible for criminality, a TRP may be issued if there is proof that an urgent need for the person’s presence in Canada based on economic or employment factors or there is a considerable economic benefit which would result from the person’s stay in Canada (e.g., a Neurosurgeon with the previous Driving Under the Influence (DUI) conviction requires to enter Canada for 2 days to perform a complex surgery).


TRP holders may also be authorized to work in Canada, and in some situations, they may later apply for permanent residency.


If you were issued a removal order (e.g., exclusion order for misrepresentation and you are not allowed to enter Canada for 5 years), or if you are inadmissible to Canada for other grounds (security, criminality, non-compliance with the Act, medical reasons etc.) and you require to travel or remain in Canada, contact our office to discuss whether your personal circumstances could warrant issuance of the TRP and what supporting documents should be submitted with the TRP application to maximize chances for approval.

Share this page

Do You Need Immigration Help?

Contact us for professional assessment, review of eligibility and immigration advice. Our staff is here to help you resolve your immigration matters, provide assistance and answer your questions. We are committed to providing service excellence to our valued clients.

Give Us A Call


Email Us At