Canada is filling labour shortages in certain industries by authorizing foreign workers to work in the country on a temporary basis. A work permit is a document that authorizes a foreign national to work for a specific period of time in a certain location in Canada and for a particular employer. Depending on a person’s status and nationality, there are three places to apply for a work permit:

  • Overseas Processing Missions
  • Port of Entry
  • Inland Processing Office

To be eligible to apply for a work permit, a worker needs:

1. Experience in the occupation presently in demand and ability to perform the job in Canada

2. Contact an employer in Canada who will provide a Job Offer and obtain a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)- a document allowing an employer to hire this particular foreign worker, issued by a Government organization, Service Canada

3. Be in good health and have no criminal background

4. Satisfy a visa officer that he/she will leave Canada upon expiry of a work permit

Depending on the nature of the job and other considerations, a foreign national may be allowed into the country under the following terms:

  • Both LMIA and work permit are required (applies to most workers)
  • Neither LMIA nor work permit is required (e.g. Business visitor)
  • Work permit is required but LMIA exempt (e.g. Intra-company transferees, professionals, traders and investors under international agreements)
  • Open work permit (e.g. Spouses of workers and students)

Whether you would like to become a Temporary Foreign Worker in Canada or you are already employed by a Canadian employer, contact us for assistance with:

  • Application for a Labour Market Impact Assessment. Our counsels will closely work with your prospective employer in Canada in the process of obtaining the LMIA.
  • Obtaining initial work permit
  • Extension of your stay as a worker
  • Change of terms and conditions on your work permit
  • Restoration of status upon expiry of your work permit
  • Application for a Bridging Work Permit
  • Application for permanent residence under one of the following categories: Federal Skilled Worker and Trades, Provincial Nominee, Canadian Experience Class
Share this page:

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.